TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | SPOTIFY | STITCHER
Have you ever been laid off from your corporate job?
There’s literally nothing that prepares you for that moment, am I right?
Like even if you were secretly plotting your exit, that "meeting" when they tell you "you're no longer needed", is the absolute worst. 👎
Here's are the deets on how I got laid off from my "dream job" and why it was the best thing that ever happened to me (no seriously).
My last corporate position wasn’t just any job, it was my dream job.
It was something I worked my ass off to earn and I finally felt like I hit the (corporate lottery).
And 6 months in, something really cool started happening...
...out of nowhere people started asking me for help with their career search outside of my 9-5.
It was my lightbulb moment 💡
"I could actually make money doing something I loved and something that came easy to me on my terms."
This was the start of a very business idea...making money online, helping people with a problem they had, that I have a solution for.
So after my lay off, I went FULLY in on, what was always my PLAN B.
My side hustle turned into my main hustle.
And the minute I walked out of that corporate office, I made a commitment to myself to never go back.
I was going to make this business work, no matter what.
And here we are, 3 years later.
It wasn’t easy, but every bit of hustle was 100% worth it.
I'll share all of these vulnerable moments with you in this first episode.
Today, I call the shots. No more dreaded commute. No more earning potential cap. No more setting alarms and waking up at the ass crack of dawn.
Sound too good to be true? Then you'll be the only one standing in the way of having it too.
My Biggest Takeaways From Getting Laid Off from My Job
- If you want a successful business - you have to treat it like a real business - from a mindset and practical level. Plan B’ing it isn’t going to give you the business you’re actually wanting to create.
- Don’t compare your business to anyone else’s. We all are starting from zero - you don’t get to skip that step. You’ll wear a lot of hats in the beginning. There’s a lot of hustle at first, but it won’t last forever.
- Being uncomfortable makes you take the necessary action. There will never be a perfect time to start your business. You will never know everything you need to know.
A Breakdown of this Episode
- [1:03 ] The time I thought I found my dream job. I was making the most money I had ever made. This job had all the bells and whistles and all perks and bennies! Did you even know unlimited vacation time was a thing?
- [3:58] I started paying attention. Friends and family started asking for my support in writing their resumes, networking and optimizing their LinkedIn profiles in order to find their next job. That’s when I realized: I could get paid for doing something that came so naturally to me!
- [5:01] Time to put my money where my mouth was. I found a coach. This woman spoke directly to every single gripe I had about my corporate job. She introduced me to the idea of starting my own coaching business. My investment in her was more than my rent that month.
- [8:22] Why Christmas came early that year. Literally 2 weeks earlier, I had been assured that my position was safe. It was nothing I had done. It was all about the budget cuts. Merry Christmas-here’s the blue envelope.
- [11:00] The most important question my business coach ever asked. Almost as soon as we got started, she asked, “So, when are you going to leave your job?”. I lied and said Spring of next year. There was no way I could ever leave the security of that job! Turns out, I was the only one delaying my first business paycheck!
- [13:53] The unexpected benefit of being an entrepreneur. In my corporate job, I was sick all of the time, too much stress and not enough sleep. Not enough downtime or flexibility in my schedule. I finally have the ability to prioritize my health!
There, I did it! I did the thing that I’ve been putting off and I’m not about to put it off any longer.
My intention is to keep bringing you amazing content each week, with both solo episodes and amazing guest experts on all kinds of business topics.
I’m passionate about this podcast, and finally doing it allows me to show up for you more.
Consider this episode as a sign that you need to do the damn thing!
You Had Me at GIVEAWAY! 🍾
That’s right, I’m popping champs to celebrate getting this podcast off the ground!
I created this podcast for listeners like you, so I’m saying thank you for your support by doing a giveaway:
3 Listeners will Randomly be Selected to Win:
- My favorite book Atomic Habits by James Clear
- A 1:1 business coaching session through Zoom ($997 value)
- My favorite journal from Ban.do (including my brand stickers)
- And 1 lucky winner will get all of the above, PLUS a set of Apple AirPods ($159 value)
To enter, just subscribe to the podcast, leave a review, then email us a screenshot of it to email@example.com.
We'll be emailing the winners (on August 12, 2020) and giving you a shoutout on my Instagram (make sure to send us your IG handle)!
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show HERE so you never miss an episode!
If you really love what you’re hearing, take a minute to leave 5 stars and a review. Also, leave a comment, letting me know what you loved most about this episode!
It only takes a few minutes and every time you do, it allows me to empower more women to show up in their business like they were always meant to with confidence and freedom.